'When my husband suggested that we might want to start thinking about another addition to our family, I was relieved to hear he meant the canine variety, rather than a 4th child. I had been following a couple of Wild at Heart Foundation dogs on Instagram for a while, so I knew exactly where to look and immediately started trawling the adopt page of the website. A friend of ours has a grey poodle-mix rescue from Greece and when I saw Teddy, I was taken aback by how similar he was to Mr Bear…. and the names – it was clearly meant to be.
When I initially contacted WAHF, I was disappointed to learn that someone had already reserved Teddy, but a few weeks later Eve emailed to let us know the circumstances had changed and he was available again!
The WAHF team did a FaceTime house-check, following which we received lots of helpful information and the adoption form, which was straightforward. The idea of collecting him from a van in a service station car park in the middle of the night struck us as a little strange, but we received assurances that it was perfectly normal. And then week before his arrival date, we suddenly got really nervous about having a rescue dog, so I emailed Eve asking if they could send a recent video of him – less than 24h later, we were all crowded round our laptop oohing and aahing at how lovely he was!
And so Teddy arrived home on a particularly chilly evening in September 2017. After a long journey from Cyprus, he was cold, tired and a bit scared, but some chicken and rice and a good sleep (with no whimpering) worked wonders and by the morning he was ready to show us his true colours.
Day one involved a trip to the park where it was wonderful to see the sheer excitement emanating from him at the amount of space and grass and dogs and people and trees and balls and a river and huge muddy puddles and and and…. the happiest puppy in all of England! We kept him on the lead for a few days, because we wanted to be sure he was secure with us and knew how to get home, but within a week, we felt able to take him off the lead and his recall was better than we expected, albeit not perfect.
Ted is unbelievably gentle and calm 80% of the time, and utterly bonkers the other 20%, which almost perfectly mirrors the characteristics of our children.
Friends have commented on how lucky we’ve been to get such an easy-going dog. In the park, people admire his ability to bounce around like Tigger.
Teddy definitely has some areas for improvement, but they relate to his age and are easily fixable. Now that he is completely settled, we need to get on and sort out some training for him. Who needs Marie Kondo when you have a Ted that can single-handedly destroy the contents of wardrobes, shoes, rugs, cushions, belts, leads, soft toys, books, handbags, plastic bags and school bags?
And at home, he is loved, hugged, carried, prodded and played with non-stop and has become a big part of our family life. Our 9 year old even admits that she gets out more and watches less TV with him around. It feels to us like he’s always been here and I genuinely think we have struck gold. Thank you WAHF for changing our lives for the better!'
- Amanda Cherry