The very first Earth Day took place on April 22, 1970, and was activated by 20 million Americans from all walks of life. That day is widely credited with launching the modern environmental movement. Growing out of that first Earth Day, the Earth Day Network now works with tens of thousands of partners in 192 countries to broaden, diversify and mobilise the environmental movement.
More than 1 billion people now participate in Earth Day activities each year, making it the largest civic observance in the world.
The Earth Day Network says they are committed to promoting sustainability and environmental conservation 365 days of the year, not just on Earth Day. There are many ways you can get involved and make a difference! Here are a few things you can do:
- Get involved with Earth Day 2015.
- Pledge an Act of Green toward our goal of A Billion Acts of Green®.
- Take our Ecological Footprint Quiz to find your impact on the planet.
- Promote Healthy and Green Schools with our Green Schools Campaign.
- Donate to Earth Day and help power the movement.
- Join our tree planting Canopy Project.
- Do you part with our impactful Campaigns and Programs.
- Get started on the Earth Day Network Homepage.