Saving Pound Dogs - Cyprus [SPDC] is made up of a group of volunteers trying to save dogs that have ended up in various local dog pounds.
In Cyprus, the attitude towards animals, particularly canines, is very hostile. This is of course a generalisation, and although there are many cases of neglect on the island there are also animal lovers who dedicate their lives to nurturing, loving and saving animals. Dogs are subject to neglectful acts such as poisoning, being shot at, abandoned, starved and beaten.
By working in co-operation with the local pounds, they attempt to identify the owners of lost dogs through various channels. If unsuccessful, they try to find new homes, either in Cyprus or abroad.
Their aims include:
- engaging in improving the life of a dog whilst in the pound
- working with the local vets to make sure that the pound dogs are treated, if sick
- strive to keep the dogs healthy at all times
- search for foster homes or, even better, forever homes
- organise fundraisers etc. in order to try to raise funds and support in the local community.
Our rehoming manager, Eve Moore set up the Instagram page @cyprusdogs in 2014 to improve the effectiveness of promoting the strays over the internet and this has become a very valuable platform for the organisation. Wild at Heart Foundation work with SPDC to rehome hundreds of dogs and we have plans to begin education campaigns in the region.